Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Halls of Residence
How do I report a maintenance problem in my room?
Posted by on 15 Feb 2016 07:01 PM

If it is a routine maintenance i.e. Burned out light built, shade won’t operate, broken furniture etc) residents can fill out a work order online in the Halls of Residence website.

If it is an emergency (i.e. overflowing toilet, power outage, no water) during normal business hours (Monday to Fridays) from 8.30am to 4.30pm, residents can call 417-4176 if it is not during normal business hours residents can contact the Residents Assistant or call security on 417-4003.